Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Salpicon Steak Salad

When I noticed this recipe in the Penzey's Catalog, I thought I bet I could cook the meat in the pressure cooker.  Sure enough I could and it was so good.  I made this salad for lunch and it was so delicious.  As I read the recipe for the dressing, I didn't care for the ingredients, so I did a Creamy Cilantro-Avocado Dressing, that was really good and went well with this salad.
Salpicon Steak Salad
1 lb. flank steak
1 white onion, roughly chopped
2-3 garlic cloves crushed or 1/2 to 3/4 tsp.Pensey's minced garlic
5 whole black peppercorns
1 whole bay leaf
1 tsp Mexican Oregano.  I didn't have mexican oregano,  I just used regular oregano.
Put the flank steak in the Pressure Cooker.  Add enough water to cover the beef.  Add the onion, salt, garlic, peppercorns, bay leaf and oregano.  Pressure for 40 minutes, natural release. Remove the beef, let cool and then shred or cut into small pieces.
Salad:
4 cups lettuce, you can also add spinach, and kale, or just spinach.
1/2 sliced red onion
1 avocado sliced
I also added some frozen peas, as we love uncooked peas in our salads.
Dressing:
Puree in a blender until smooth:
1/2 ripe avocado
3/4 cup packed cilantro
1/2 cup plain yogurt,
2 chopped scallions,
1 quartered garlic clove
1 TB. lime juice
1 tsp. agave or honey
1/2 tsp. salt
If you want the dressing that goes with the salad go to Penzey's .com., search under Mexican oregano.

No comments:

Post a Comment