Monday, March 21, 2011

Two recipes using your left over Cafe Rio Beans

I love left over beans, I just pop them in the freezer and when I need canned beans, I defrost my beans and they are ready to go in a recipe.
Black Bean Tostadas
This recipe is from the Pennzey catalog, but revised to use in the pressure cooker.
2 cups of black beans
1 16-oz can fat free refried black beans
1 TB. canola oil
1 onion, chopped
1 TB Arizona dreaming, you can make a mixture of cumin, chili pepper, garlic, paprika, chipotie pepper.
1/4 cup water
1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
1 tsp. honey
1/4/ tsp red pepper flakes, or Ancho Chili Pepper or 1 fresh jalapeno.
1 TB fresh cilantro, finely minced
1/4 cup sour cream
1 cup Gruyere or Chihuahua cheese, I didn't have any of these so I used Mozzarella Cheese
Heat the oil in your pressure cooker and brown the onion. After about 3 minutes, when the onion is turning translucent but not brown, add the Arizona Dreaming or other spices and stir.  Then add the rest of the ingredients except the cilantro, sour cream and cheese, pressure cook for 3 minutes, natural release,  Stir in the sour cream.  Use a potato masher to halfway mash up the whole black beans.  Serve on tostado shells topped with cheese, tomatos and cilantro.

The next recipe is from Eating Well magazine, adapted to do in the pressure cooker, we had this yesterday for Sunday dinner and it was delicious.  I put all the ingredients in the pan and stuck in the fridge. Rlynn usually doesn't get home from his last meeting until 5.30 p.m., so we want something fast to fix.

Sweet Potato & Black Bean Soup
1 medium-large sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 TB. chili powder
4 Tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground chipotle chile
1/2 tsp. salt (For me it needed more salt)
1 1/2 cups water
4 cups black beans, rinsed
1 14-oz. diced tomatoes
4 tsp. lime juice
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Put everything in the pressure cooker and pressure for 6 minutes ( that seems to be my magical number 6),
natural release.  We love cheese on top. The sweet potato gives it a nice flavor, a little sweetness with the chili spices.  I halved this recipe for Rlynn and I, and we have enough for another meal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment