Thursday, May 19, 2011

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

Sorry it's taken so long to write and have a recipe on my blog.  About 3 weeks ago Rlynn said "I don't want you to cook!"  I thought what does he mean he doesn't want me to cook.  Is he going on the "Raw Food" diet that is the new craze right now?  No, he meant he wanted us to eat up the leftover stuff that I had frozen in the freezer the last year, as he thinks he is bringing home a lot of Salmon in July when he takes his four sons, two grandsons, and one son-in-law to Alaska fishing.  Anyway he hopes he is.
     So amongst the frozen tinfoil dinners, plastic ware, I found this hunk of cheese we had frozen, Tilmook Cheddar Cheese.  So here is the recipe I made with it. I used to make this recipe when our children were growing up and I still love it.

Baked Macaroni and Cheese:

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups macaroni
3 cups water
1/2 tsp salt
Put in pressure cooker and pressure 2 minutes, natural release.
Put the macaroni in a strainer and strain off the water.

Brown:
I really like to make white sauce on the browning setting of the pressure cooker.  Be sure to have all of your ingredients as it cooks fast.
Melt 2 tbsp. butter in the pressure cooker,
Add 2 tbsp flour and mix well
Add 2 cups milk ( I didn't have any milk, so I used 1 cup almond milk and 1 cup can milk.)
Let it cook until hot and bubbly, stirring constantly.
Add:
2 cups cheddar cheese
1 tsp. mustard powder
1 tsp. white onion powder or 1 tbsp. dehydrated onions
1/2 to 1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp to 1 tsp. 45 seasoned salt, I didn't have any of this so I just added sea salt.
1/2 tsp dill ( I think I would try 1 tsp.)
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes.
Mix and put into a 7x11 greased baking pan.
Sprinkle on Sweet paprika

May add breadcrumbs mixed with melted butter.  (I found a couple of old frozen muffins, I put them in the blender added melted butter and put them on top of the casserole, believe or not they tasted wonderful.)

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  We have enough left over for two more meals.
Bake Macaroni and Cheese is certainly one of my comfort foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment